FDNY holds fire safety event on anniversary of deadly Bronx fire


NEW YORK — Last December, a 3-year old playing with a stove, followed by a door left open during a panicked escape, produced one of the deadliest fires in New York City history.

Firefighters visited the Boys and Girls Club Tuesday night in the Belmont section of the Bronx.

FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro says images and memories from that bone-chilling night are still with so many families, and the brave men and women who ran in to the burning building in an effort to save whoever they could.

“The glaring mistakes that night were the children unattended playing with a stove,” Commissioner Nigro said. “Children are apt to do dangerous things … 3-year olds that went unattended. If unfortunately, if a fire starts in an apartment, and you get out – close the door. That fire raced up the stairs, and was devastating.”

Read More

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This is not an official City of New York or FDNY website. All information shall not be considered that given by the New York City Fire Department or FDNY. The FDNY acronym and the FDNY Shield Design are federal registered trademarks owned by the City of New York.

Copyright 2014 Civil Service Media. All rights reserved.