Space Heater Started Brooklyn Fire that Killed Two Longtime Friends and Neighbors

NY Daily News – January 04, 2018


The Brooklyn fire that killed two longtime friends was sparked by a space heater, FDNY officials said Wednesday.

Ernestine Moore, 79 and Arthur Madison, 76, died on Dec. 29, when their building on Patchen Ave. near MacDonough St. in Bedford-Stuyvesant went up in flames, authorities said.

Moore perished on the second floor, the same level Madison was rescued from, police said.

First responders rushed Madison, to Interfaith Hospital, where he died.

A 55-year-old man was taken to Woodhull Hospital with serious injuries.

A firefighter was also injured in the blaze, which raged for hours before it was snuffed out, FDNY officials said.

The fire was just hours after a dozen people, including four children, were killed in a Bronx inferno.

Investigators did not reveal where the space heater was being used and if the device was plugged into a outlet or a power strip.

The FDNY has warned residents not to plug space heaters into power strips because the devices usually can’t handle the current, causing it to overheat and catch fire.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This is not an official City of New York or FDNY website. All information shall not be considered that given by the New York City Fire Department or FDNY. The FDNY acronym and the FDNY Shield Design are federal registered trademarks owned by the City of New York.

Copyright 2014 Civil Service Media. All rights reserved.