Doris Crawford, 71, and John Crawford, 80, were found dead inside their home at 1952 First Ave. Sunday, police said.
EAST HARLEM — The elderly couple who died from carbon monoxide poisoning removed the batteries from their CO detector when the alarm started going off, not realizing their apartment was filling with deadly gas, the FDNY said.
Doris Crawford, 71, and John Crawford, 80, were found dead inside their home at 1952 First Ave. Sunday morning from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning after their daughter and her husband came to pick them up for Easter Sunday church services, authorities and reports said.
Investigators believe the couple’s carbon monoxide detector had going off inside the home and that one of the tenants removed its batteries, unaware the home had been filling with the noxious gas, FDNY spokesman Frank Dwyer said.
“Unfortunately, they didn’t know,” he said, adding that the detector was found on a table inside the apartment.
Officials said Monday that the couple’s stove was turned on when their family arrived at the apartment around 9 a.m. Sunday.
FDNY investigators are looking into whether the stove was defective, officials said.
“The CO came from the stove,” Dwyer said. “The stove is either defective or was inadvertently left on.”
The investigation is ongoing, he said.
Correction: An earlier version of this story said the FDNY had determined the stove was defective. That status is under investigation.
Have something to say about this story? Voice your opinion on Neighborhood Square.