FDNY: Accidental apartment fire in Grant City caused by smoking


STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — A fire in a Grant City apartment building was the result of smoking in a unit that did not have a working smoke alarm, according to the FDNY.

The fire on Monday afternoon in the seven-story building at 145 Lincoln Ave. injured three people, according to the FDNY.

Fire marshals determined that the blaze was accidentally caused by smoking and that there was no working smoke alarm present, according to the FDNY Twitter feed.

The blaze, reported at 2:23 p.m. on the sixth floor, was brought under control after an hour and 10 minutes, according to the FDNY.

Three civilians suffered injuries — two were minor, but one person was taken to an area hospital in serious condition, according to the FDNY.

Do you want to discuss this report? Visit the comment section to join the conversation?

FDNY: Fire at Grant City apartment under control

FDNY: Fire at Grant City apartment under control

Several fire department units are on the scene, blocking Lincoln Avenue, as they respond to reported blaze.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This is not an official City of New York or FDNY website. All information shall not be considered that given by the New York City Fire Department or FDNY. The FDNY acronym and the FDNY Shield Design are federal registered trademarks owned by the City of New York.

Copyright 2014 Civil Service Media. All rights reserved.