SILive – January 31, 2017
by Paul Liotta
The fire at 82 Van Buren St. broke out at approximately 7:00 p.m., according to a spokesman for the FDNY.
Resident Lisa Wilson said she was unplugging a space heater in her apartment in the three story building when an electrical outlet began to spark.
“The fire started climbing up the wall, and went out the window,” Wilson said.
She said that’s when the building next to hers, 84 Van Buren St. also caught fire.
“The flames were engulfing everything,” she said.
Wilson believed that everyone she knows living at 82 Van Buren got out safely, but was unsure of her next door neighbors.
“Everyone got out safe and sound, thank God,” she said.
Another resident of 82 Van Buren informed Wilson that they would be able to go back into their home to see what they could salvage.
A spokesman for the FDNY said eight firefighters suffered minor injuries from the blaze, and that no civilians were injured.
Department of Buildings records indicate that the building is owned by an LLC with a mailing address in Boca Raton, Fl.
A spokesman for the American Red Cross said the organization is assisting four families – six adults and nine children – who have been displaced by the fire.
The Red Cross provided the families, with food, water, blankets, money for food and clothing, and emergency housing. The organization will continue to assist the families as they get back on their feet, the spokesman said.
The fire was brought under control at approximately 8:32 p.m., a spokesman for the FDNY said.