by Joseph Stepansk
FIVE Fire Department emergency responders were taken to an hospital Tuesday night after they were exposed to a noxious substance while attempting to save a man in cardiac arrest in Queens, authorities said. The emergency workers had responded to a 911 call that brought them to a home on 65th Crescent near 67th Ave. in Fresh Meadows around 9:40 p.m. when they were apparently overcome by fumes from a hazardous liquid inside a bottle at the residence, a fire department official said.
The responders, a mix of firefighters and emergency medical service workers, were taken to New York Hospital Queens, the FDNY official said. They were not believed to be in serious condition.
The man in cardiac arrest died at the scene, police said. The cause of death was not immediately known.
Police recovered from the home a box that investigators believe was used to ship the noxious substance.